The Historic Franklin Presbyterian Church was organized in Franklin, TN by the Reverend Gideon Blackburn on June 8, 1811 and first located near the City Cemetery. The church moved to its current location in 1842. The Reverend A. N. Cunningham was was pastor from 1843 to 1857. In 1847, he founded the Franklin Female Institute, which was temporarily housed in the church. After the Battle of Franklin, the building was used as a hospital by Federal troops and severely damaged. In 1888, a house of worship in the Romanesque Revival style of H. H. Richardson was erected. After a fire in 1905, the church was rebuilt in 1908. In 1992, those members of the congregation, who wished to remain on the historic site, organized the Historic Franklin Presbyterian Church.