The Southern Terminal is railway passenger and warehouse depot located at 306 W. Depot Street in Knoxville, Tennessee. The present depot was constructed in 1903, although previous structures are documented in the city from the 1850s. The 1903 depot was designed by Frank P. Milburn, who had designed train stations throughout the south. It is on the National Register of Historic Places, and lies within Knoxville’s Jackson Avenue Historic District.
The depot is notable for it’s signature corbel-stepped gables. It also has arched windows and coffered ceilings in the former waiting rooms and restaurant. The clock tower was removed in 1945, apparently due to structural problems. The dining rooms, baggage check, and mail rooms were located on the lower level of the facility. Ticketing and waiting rooms were on the upper level.
Photo Gallery: Southern Railway Depot