Today’s photo is of Middle Creek United Methodist Church in Sevier County. This church is located on Middle Creek Road between Sevierville and Pigeon Forge, Tennessee and was was built by Cisco Williams, a carpenter from Sevierville, in 1902. Middle Creek United Methodist is Sevier County’s best example of a Gothic Revival style church building.
For many years, Methodist have gathered to praise God near this beautiful spot in Sevier County. Since 1787, Circuit riding preacher served this area. The first Methodist Bishop in America, Rev. Francis Asbury, visited the area in 1808. During the early 1800’s, folks from the community and beyond would travel with their horses and wagons to gather here for week-long revivals. By 1822, this location became known as the “Middle Creek Campground.” Services were held under a big tree overlooking the local terrain. Families either camped out for weeks or built temporary log huts.
In 1851, land was donated to build the first Middle Creek sanctuary, a log structure. That deed charged the trustees to build a “ Methodist Church or meeting house for the worship of Almighty God.” The stately structure where the church now holds services was dedicated on May 18, 1902.